The Top 5 Dangers of Bleach


5 Reasons to Ditch the Bleach and Clean Green

Bleach is known as “chlorine bleach” or even “sodium hypochlorite,” can be found in nearly every household or office. When it comes to dirty jobs, whether it’s cleaning a moldy bathroom, disinfecting surfaces, or getting stains out of laundry, people often reach for bleach. As one of the oldest and most common household products, it’s tough getting people to ditch bleach.

Bleach is made when chlorine and caustic soda (also known as lye) are combined. Both are very potent. Its potency is what has made it so attractive in the cleaning market.

Bleach whitens, brightens, and is also a trusted disinfectant for surfaces and clothes because it removes bacteria right upon contact (the good and the bad).  Unfortunately, it’s popularity is leading to large amounts being poured from homes and businesses into our drainage every day, never mind its impact on our health.

Because bleach is such a popular goto item, it’s difficult to get people to ditch this toxic cleaner. But we hope that by educating conscious consumers like yourself, we can get you to reduce, reconsider, or remain bleach-free (if you already are).

Here are five reasons why you should ditch bleach:


1. Bleach Causes Accidents:

Bleach often causes accidents in the home, especially when small children accidentally swallow or inhale this substance. Often people forget to store bleach safely and don’t properly ventilate the rooms where it’s used, and the toxic fumes remain.


2. It has a hidden power.

Many people are unaware of bleach’s ability to form noxious gases and produce VOCs. One European study showed that bleach can react to produce Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). VOCs and noxious gases can cause DNA damage, cancer, asthma, and a host of other illnesses. If you have pets and/or children, they are even more susceptible to the negative effects of bleach fumes because they have smaller lungs that can easily fill up with these horrible fumes.


3. It pollutes the air in our home.

The air, especially air in our home, can become polluted with toxins, endangering the health of everyone who’s breathing it in. Sadly, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that more than 11,000 people will die this year alone due to indoor air pollution caused by toxic cleaning products. Bleach is one of its big culprits.


4. Bleach is highly corrosive.

The same reason why bleach is so powerful for disinfecting and removing stains is also the reason why it’s so irritating and corrosive. Bleach can corrode our skin, lungs, and eyes. Think back to a time when you walked into a room that smelled like bleach. Remember your eyes hurting? Or, did you ever accidentally drop bleach on yourself only to find yourself itching that area like crazy.


5. It can cause allergies in those who were allergy-free.

How scary is that?! Again, because bleach is so powerful, using bleach in your home and frequently can increase our risk of developing allergies. In kid’s, it can increase their chance of developing wheezing by up to 40%, according to a study published in the European Respiratory Journal.


Ready to dedicate your home to a greener life? Check out The Beginner's Guide to Non-Toxic Cleaning and What is Green Cleaning?